Well, we find ourselves at the beginning of summer 2018. The old 1958 Dodge D100 project is shuffling along. I almost feel like we can see the finish line, but it might be a mirage, as I have said that before. Today the boys over at VR Garage got it back from the painter, where it was clear coated in a satin finish to preserve the patina. I originally was going to patina polish it, but the more research I did told me that unless you are going to store it inside, or pay to polish it every year you are looking for trouble. Also, the polisher has to meticulously polish around the surface rust, otherwise the polishing compound sticks to the rough rusty areas and must be power washed out. There are a lot of rusty areas on this truck (surface only) so I know it would have been a huge project to polish it. The satin finish came out great! I know my friend Erik ‘The Viking” Elbeck is going to trash talk me behind my back to all the hot rod crowd, about what a terrible decision this was, but I can take it. They all think I’m not a real hot rod guy anyways.
So, until next update – here she is:
October 29th, 2018 at 4:55 pm
Looking good! Entering a similar project, on a shoestring….
October 29th, 2018 at 5:42 pm
Mine started as a shoestring. I didn’t have enough time, so I had my friend’s shop take it over. Needless to say, the shoestring has blown up in to a full budget. Part of the challenge is that it is a 1958. No parts. But, if I ever decide to turn it into a Sweptside I have a foundation. Goof luck on yours. Post photos as you progress. Also, there is a group on Facebook that talks about D100’s. Not many have 58’s, but the resources are good and they answer questions that others had no clue on. https://www.facebook.com/groups/62Dodge/