Well, we find ourselves at the beginning of summer 2018. The old 1958 Dodge D100 project is shuffling along. I almost feel like we can see the finish line, but it might be a mirage, as I have said that before. Today the boys over at VR Garage got it back from the painter, where it was clear coated in a satin finish to preserve the patina. I originally was going to patina polish it, but the more research I did told me that unless you are going to store it inside, or pay to polish it every year you are looking for trouble. Also, the polisher has to meticulously polish around the surface rust, otherwise the polishing compound sticks to the rough rusty areas and must be power washed out. There are a lot of rusty areas on this truck (surface only) so I know it would have been a huge project to polish it. The satin finish came out great! I know my friend Erik ‘The Viking” Elbeck is going to trash talk me behind my back to all the hot rod crowd, about what a terrible decision this was, but I can take it. They all think I’m not a real hot rod guy anyways.
So, until next update – here she is:
It has been a while since I gave a little progress update on the D100 pickup. Last year we bought an old industrial building, so the funds to make the Dodge D100 project move along were challenging. The boys over at VR Garage have been steadfast and patient, getting things done as I can get money their way. I have expressed how concerning it was having someone else do the restoration, as it is the first project i haven’t done myself, but I am getting a bit excited as we get closer to completion. Like any restoration, it has cost twice as much and taken twice as long as planned, but I keep adding projects and changing my mind, so it is to be expected. So far we have dropped in a refurbished Chevy 350 small block and added an automatic transmission. All wiring is new. New gauges and surrounds. Disc brakes with new wheels and whitewalls. New and adjusted suspension. New steering column. New tail lights. Replaced the radiator and refurbished the gas tank.
We still have left the interior, a new bed, clear coating the patina finish, painting some detail pieces, lettering on the door. Exhaust. Back bumper. All new glass and seals. And I am sure a hundred more things I am forgetting. But, it should be on the road by summer, as the building remodel is nearing its end and I can concentrate again on finishing up the truck.
Here it is as of September 2017:
Whitewalls all around
Dual headlights replace singles
New gauges and surrounds
Tether cars have been around for a long time. The actual vintage cars run up into the thousands of dollars for the well made versions from the 40’s and 50’s. I love the graphics on the old boxes…
A recent auction featured a collection of vintage motorcycle pennants. I still cannot afford to collect them but I am obsessed.
Another one bites the dust…
Bummer, I missed out on a vintage motorcycle racing window card that I had never seen before.
Recently I missed out on a few gems for my motorcycle poster collection.
I don’t know what it was about this flower bush this weekend, but it attracted some mighty nice vintage cars…
Recently sold at auction for $6500